Work experience – 19 years as a journalist, 13 years as a freelance Clients for freelance news reporting and feature writing include: · Whitespace, publishers of weekly, monthly, annual and once-off
Work experience – 19 years as a journalist, 13 years as a freelance
Clients for freelance news reporting and feature writing include:
· Whitespace, publishers of weekly, monthly, annual and once-off newspaper supplements published with The Irish Independent, including: Jobs & Careers, Mothers & Babies, Initiative, Accountancy and InBusiness.
· Irish Building, Irish Construction Times, National Development
· The Investor Magazine, Drinks Industry Ireland, The Irish Farmers' Journal, The Irish Marketing Journal, Electrical Retail Trader (UK), Business & Finance.
· Catholic News Service (US), The Irish Catholic, The Word, The Catholic Times and The Universe
Clients for freelance sub-editing and proofing work include:
· Zahra Publications, publishers of ESB [Electricity Supply Board] publications for business and domestic customer and of EM, the ESB staff newsletter.
· Concept Publications, publishers of Garda Voice, The International Police Association Journal and Síochán.
Author of The Story of the Irish Pub – an Intoxicating History of the Licensed Trade in Ireland, published by the Liffey Press in October 2002.
Staff employments include:
2000-02 - Production editor for ComputerScope and PC Live! at Scope Communications
1995-96 - Irish editor of The Universe.
1994-95 - Editor of Human Resources in Banking and Insurance, an international financial newsletter produced by Lafferty Publications, Dublin.
1992-94 - Senior reporter at The Universe, Manchester.
1989-92 - Reporter The Oldham Advertiser in Lancashire.
My main speciality is business journalism. In addition to writing about business and businesses, I also write, copy-edit and proof-read corporate communications (annual reports, company brochures, press releases, staff newsletters/magazines, public information leaflets, websites, etc). My second largest 'big earner' is writing about Irish religious and social affairs. Otherwise, I can write well about anything. I have written one book, 'The Story of the Irish Pub, a history of the licensed trade in Ireland'.